Wednesday, August 14, 2013

7 Things Leaders Should Never Apologize For

1. Never Apologize for Dreaming Big.

He’s God … He wants more for the church than we want for it … ask big!
We have a HUGE GOD who can do things that are absolutely MIND BLOWING … and if we focus on HIS POWER rather than our limitations, we will always be willing to hear what He says and then do it … even though we don’t have all of our questions answered.

2. Never Apologize for Your Passion.

I once had a guy tell me, “Dude, I think you would be more effective as a leader/communicator if you would just calm down a little.” 
Here’s the problem … I can’t!
Jeremiah 20:9 is my verse … Jesus began a fire inside of me on May 27, 1990 … and it’s only gotten hotter. You can be consumed with passion … or be content with being passive. One, Jesus will use to change the world … the other, the enemy will use to dull your soul.

3. Never Apologize for Wanting to Lead. 

If you are called by God and gifted by God to lead … THEN LEAD! Here’s the deal … someone is going to make the decisions. Someone is going to call the shots … and if that is the call that God has put on your life, then DO IT!
By the way … when you do this, it IS going to make people mad. AND … if you can’t handle the fact that people ARE going to hate you simply because you try your best to listen to Jesus and then do what He says … you may not be called to lead!

4. Never Apologize for Not Embracing Someone Else’s Agenda.

You have got to understand that, as a leader, if you experience any level of success, other people will always want to attach themselves and their agenda to you. I often tell people, “Your burden is not my passion!”
As leaders, we are responsible for embracing God’s vision for our lives … not everyone else’s!
I am not saying everyone else’s idea is bad … or even wrong … it’s just that you can’t embrace something that God didn’t truly birth inside of you … and doing so will only lead to personal frustration and your organization trying to manufacture energy for something that they hate!

5. Never Apologize for Expecting the Best From Others

Leaders cannot be afraid to set high standards … EVER! I believe it is WRONG to expect perfection from others … we’re all humans, we screw up!
BUT … it isn’t wrong to expect others to give their best. (By the way … MOST of the time, if people see the leader giving their best, it will inspire them to do the same!)

6. Never Apologize for Wanting to Reach More People.

From time to time, people will take a shot at me for wanting to see more people come to church … and …
I AM GUILTY AS CHARGED!
I can’t help it … the change in life that Jesus has brought about in me … I want as many people as possible to hear about it! I want as many people as possible to have their lives changed. I want as many people as possible to KNOW that they KNOW JESUS! I just don’t see anywhere in Scripture where that is a bad thing.
Don’t EVER apologize for embracing the fact that God has called us to RECONCILE (not REVILE) the world! (II Corinthians 5:16-21!)

7. Never Apologize for Saying “No” to What You KNOW You Need to Say “No” To.

One of the biggest frustrations I’ve ever had as a leader is when I commit “sins of obligation,” you know, when I do something because I feel like I have to rather than doing it because I truly feel led to do it because of the Holy Spirit’s leadership in my life.
Just because we have opportunities doesn’t mean we need to embrace them … because saying “yes” to everything often means we have to say “no” to the things that are REALLY important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment